Wednesday, January 23, 2013

VEGAN LIFESTYLE

     I have been living a vegan lifestyle for over 5 months I initially decided to cut out all animal products from my diet when I was trying to clear my skin and heard that eating dairy and hormone-pumped animals could be playing a role in my acne. At that point animal rights did not even cross my mind.

    After a few weeks of following a vegan diet I saw a video that changed my entire way of living. It took 1 hour of listening to an incredible speech to change my life for the better. In his speech, Gary Yourofsky does a great job at creating awareness about the pain and suffering animals are put through from the moment they are born until their planned death. Gary also speaks about the health benefits of going vegan and the hidden truths about the meat and dairy industries. I highly recommend listening to his speech but I do like to warn people about the gruesome video clips of animal abuse and torture that he shows during certain parts of his lecture.

     I was blown away by the cruelty that innocent animals endure every second of their life, simply for human pleasure. Whether it be in the food we eat, the clothes we wear, the entertainment we watch, animals are suffering at our expense and it is unjust. Who are we to decide which animals are lovable and which are worthless? We live in a society where many of us have a variety of animals as pets that we love with all of our heart, but at the same time we fry, bake, roast and barbeque other animals to eat. We also walk around wearing other species skin, fur and feathers as though it was made for us, as though we have a right to pluck, chop or shave it off as we please.

     The easiest part of becoming a vegan for me was not purchasing another dead animal. The hardest part of becoming a vegan for me  was living in a society where much tradition is centered around dead animals. I went through phases of anger, hurt and hate towards people who I considered ignorant, people who thought the way I did for almost 27 years. I preached and pushed my new way of living on others because I was desperate for others to become educated and aware of the animal abuse taking place and for them to care for animals the way I did. That lasted for a month at most and then I realized that the best way to change the world is to BE the change you want to see in the world. (Thank you Gandhi)

      I am not a nutritionist so I will not sit here and say that the vegan diet is the healthiest way to eat, though I have come across lots of research that supports that argument. What I will say is that since going vegan I feel 100% better physically, emotionally, and spiritually. My entire being has benefited from living a vegan lifestyle. Family and friends continue to seem surprised that I am still a vegan. (I do not blame them due to my history of quick changing hobbies and interests) Some people may follow a vegan diet plan to lose weight or get healthy and that can quickly and easily come to an end like most diet fads. The difference is that I am living a VEGAN LIFESTYLE, a way of living that does not support animal cruelty, and that is for life :) 

 
Miley, my angel. 
Just because I named her and take care of her does not mean she is more important than any other animal. She deserves to be treated with love and care just as much as all animals do. Why does she get a loving home when millions of animals are tortured and slaughtered daily? Should we call her lucky? Or should we take a closer look at what we are doing to the most unconditionally loving beings---animals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment