Thursday, February 7, 2013

A RETURN TO LOVE

     With Valentine's Day coming up I thought it would be suitable to share about one of my absolute favourite books --- "A Return to Love" by Marianne Williamson.  In this book Marianne shares her thoughts and insights about love and inner peace as she reflects on A Course In Miracles
     "Williamson reveals how we each can become a miracle worker by accepting God and by the expression of love in our daily lives. Whether our psychic pain is in the area of relationships, career, or health, she shows us how love is a potent force, the key to inner peace, and how by practicing love we can make our own lives more fulfilling while creating a more peaceful and love world for our children." (book cover)
     Marianne Williamson was far from God in her youth, she did not understand how such a loving God could let so many bad things happen. She partied hard and claims to have been 'lost' for most of her adolescence. "I sank deeper and deeper into my own neurotic patterns, seeking relief in food, drugs, people, or whatever else I could find to distract me from myself." (pg.xv) Her life changed for the better after reading "A Course in Miracles".
     I read this book while going through a difficult time in my life. I underlined many great quotes from the book and continue to read them over when I feel like I need a reminder of what is truly important in this life, love. 
 A few of my favourite quotes:

"Meaning doesn't lie in things. Meaning lies in us. When we attach value to things that aren't love--the money, the car, the house, the prestige -- we are loving things that can't love us back. We are searching for meaning in the meaningless." (pg. xxii)

"In any moment when we choose fear instead of love, we deny ourselves the experience of Paradise." (pg. 36)

"We either have faith in fear or we have faith in love, faith in the power of the world or faith in the power of God." (pg. 54)

"..when we thing we have things already figured out, we're not teachable." (pg. 59)

"The ego bases its perception of reality on what has happened in the past, carries those perceptions into the present and thus create a future like the past." (pg. 73)

"When you meet anyone, remember it is a holy encounter. As you see him, you will see yourself. As you treat him, you will treat yourself. As you think of him, you will think of yourself. Never forget this, for in him you will find yourself or lose yourself." (pg. 91)

"Forgiveness is the key to inner peace because it is the mental technique by which our thoughts are transformed from fear to love." (pg. 93)

      I could go on and on with these quotes, but instead I will simply recommend reading the book. This book helps to heal the mind, it refocuses our minds back to our innate ability to love from our worldly-learned need to fear. This book is a great gift idea for Valentine's Day, for yourself or for a loved one.

No comments:

Post a Comment