Most gum brands on the market are filled with sugar, caffeine and man-made chemicals. Many people quickly turn to sugarless gum which usually contains aspartame. Studies have shown that aspartame can be toxic, increase hunger and long-term use of it has been linked to cancer, diabetes, birth defects and neurological disorders. At this point in my life, if something does not grow on a tree or come from nature itself, I tend to question it. Man has the general tendency to screw with everything natural (put nicely), make it harmful in some way and then charge money for it. No one likes stinky breath so here are some healthy, natural alternatives to gum.
1) Parsley & Mint Leaves- Two lovely herbs that are known to freshen the breath. Simply chew and feel free to swallow to get some extra healthy greens in your diet.
2) Fennel Seeds - These tiny seeds contain an essential oil that has antibacterial properties and can help cover up the smell of previously eaten food.
3) Licorice Root - This alternative is more for people who like to chew. Licorice root has many health benefits and can also help freshen breath.
4) Water - Drink more water! Having a dry mouth could be the reason why your breath is bad. Water helps to stimulate the salivary glands in your mouth which help fight bacteria.
5) Green Tea - Green tea as well as black tea is said to contain chemicals that prevent the growth of bacteria.
6) Cardamom - This spice contains an antiseptic that kills bacteria and helps get rid of bad breath. Just chewing on a few seeds can do the trick.
Still want gum? My favourite vegan gum is Pur gum. It comes in many flavours, is aspartame free, GMO free, and diabetic friendly. This gum can be found at most health food stores and is worth the few extra cents. Tight on money? It would cost the exact same or less if you had half a piece of gum at a time. Healthier and no extra cost.
1) Dr. Ben Kim - http://drbenkim.com/articles-gum.html