Thursday, January 2, 2014

MY SIX DAY JUICE CLEANSE

I have only attempted a juice cleanse once in my life and that was a few months ago at the cottage. My goal was 3 days and I made it to 2.5 days :P It was difficult, but I was also not educated in what I was doing and I certainly was not getting enough nutrients with the amount of juice I was having. 

I decided to do a 5 day juice cleanse before my wedding to help cleanse me physically, mentally, emotionally and in other great ways. I was just going to buy a bunch of organic juices from the company 'Raw Juice Guru" from Healthy Planet, but when I went they only had two juices left. I wanted to start the cleanse the following day so I needed to find another way. My fiance looked up the company online and told me some great news, they have juice feast packages that you can purchase and the juices will be delivered daily to your very own home. I was so excited to get started! There was also a promotion when we bought the package where you get an extra day of juice cleansing for free :) 

RAW JUICE GURU
This company sells it's products at Healthy Planet and a couple other health food stores. They deliver to various areas in and around Toronto. They have many other packages you can purchase and order such as corporate cleanses and raw food delivery.

Here I will share with you my 6 day juice feast journey.

PRE-CLEANSE
It is important to pre-cleanse your body before you being the juice feast so that you can really benefit from the juice feast. I eat a relatively clean diet as is, so I decided one day of pre-cleanse was enough especially since I wanted to finish the cleanse a day before the wedding.

What I ate:
- 4 watermelon (small)
- 4 mangoes
- 10 oranges 
*This was very difficult, especially at this time of year with all of the holiday leftovers and such. I was happy that I made it through because it allowed me to begin my cleanse on the day I wanted to begin it. 

DAY # 1


1- Spinach, parsley, cucumber, lemon, apple
2- Cucumber, celery, carrot, coconut water
3- Wheatgrass, pineapple
4- Beet, carrot, celery, lemon, ginger, apple
5- Orange, grapefruit, lemon
6- Aloe vera
7- Apple, beet, carrot, lemon, ginger
8- Spinach, parsley, cucumber,  lemon, apple‎

Day 1 was very difficult. I was told not to work out on day 1. I was tired, grumpy, craving everything I could think of and slept a lot. I did not even want to continue the cleanse and was angry I started it. I made it through the day with my juices and water. 
 
DAY # 2


1- Sunflower sprouts, pea sprouts, kale, parsley, cucumber, lemon, apple
2- Pear, cucumber, apple
3- Wheatgrass, pineapple
4- Apple, parsley, dandelion, collard, celery, lemon, ginger
5- Grapefruit, ginger
6- Wheatgrass, pineapple
7- Apple, parsley, dandelion, collard, celery, lemon, ginger
8- Sunflower sprouts, pea sprouts, kale, parsley, cucumber, lemon, apple

Day 2 I was told that it is important to workout to help detox my system. I had more energy in the morning and had an incredible sleep the night before. I did light exercise and started to feel as though my digestive system was emptying food that had been stuck there for a while. I was feeling cleaner and leaner already. The cravings were still there, but I was told to keep as busy as possible and being the holidays I really had to plan things to do to keep busy. Today it was difficult to drink all of the green juices, they were very strong in detoxifying flavours, but I loved what it is doing to my body, mind and soul so I sipped on. 

DAY # 3


1- Spinach, parsley, romaine, kale, lemon cucumber, apple
2- Carrot, orange, beet, ginger
3- Wheatgrass, pineappple
4- Collard, swiss chard, romaine, cucumber, ginger, carrot
5- Pineapple, kale, celery, ginger
6- Pineapple, wheatgrass
7- Sunflower sprouts, lemon, pear, celery, beet
8- Romaine, spinach, kale, parsley, cucumber, lemon, apple

Day 3 I woke up feeling incredible! I looked in the mirror and noticed my skin was clearly and starting to glow. I did a light workout and ran to the door to get my new juices :) It is like getting presents daily :P Cravings were very strong, especially since I went to a restaurant for lunch and visited candy stores in Niagara Falls all day :$ 

DAY # 4


1- Pea sprouts, parsley, cucumber, celery, lemon, apple
2- Celery, kale, lemon, beet, carrot
3- Wheatgrass, pineapple
4- Celery, cucumber, aloe vera, apple
5- Orange, Grapfruit, lemon
6- Pineapple, wheatgrass
7- Celery, parsley, lemon, beet, carrot, pineapple
8- Celery, lemon, pea sprouts, parsley, cucumber, apple

Day 4 I felt sluggish, tired and like I was going to get a cold. It was a big sign that I needed to rest more. I took the day off of exercise and drank lots of warm lemon-ginger water because I was freezing all day and the day before. Drinking cold juice all day everyday in the winter can be torturous so it is important to drink loads of warm herbal teas as well. Lesson learned.

DAY # 5


1- Swiss chard, parsley, pea sprouts, celery, cucumber, apple, lemon
2- Cranberry, beets, apple, celery, cucumber, beet, ginger
3- Lemon, ginger
‎‎
4- Spinach, cucumber, apple, lemon
5- Watermelon, lemon
6- Lemon, ginger
‎‎
7- Cranberry, beet, apple, cucumber, celery, lemon, ginger
8- Swiss chard, parsley, pea sprouts, apple, lemon, cucumber, celery, ginger

Day 5 I woke up feeling much better. I felt like the side effects of a cold coming on were reversed with a good nights sleep. I am starting to think I will do a juice cleanse a few times a year. It really does make me feel clean and lean and I am enjoying the benefits. I think the most important part of a cleanse is the before and after part. It is important not to 'let yourself go' before the cleanse as well as after the cleanse. Cleanses are meant to detox the body, but that does not mean the rest of our days should be spent putting as many toxins into our body as we can.

 On of my biggest fears during this cleanse is that I would go into a crazy food binge afterwards, binging on everything I couldn't eat during my cleanse. That fear disappeared this morning. Honestly, it hung over my like a dark cloud the past few days, but today I really feel like I am developing a new respect for my body and I do not want to destroy the benefits I am gaining during this cleanse. :)

DAY #6 


1- Swiss chard, dandelion, cucumber, lemon, romaine, kale, parsley, pea sprouts, ginger, pear
2- Lemon, filtered water, cayenne pepper, raw coc‎onut nectar
3- Wheatgrass, orange
4- Carrot, spinach, parsley, cucumber
5- Orange, grapefruit, lemon
6- Wheatgrass, orange
7- Carrot, spinach, parsley, cucumber
8- Swiss chard, dandelion, cucumber, romaine, kale, lemon, pea sprouts, parsley, ginger, pear
Day 6, I had the worst sleep of my life last night. I could not sleep and I felt like I was starving. I was full of anxiety and excitement with my fast approaching wedding (2days) and I was wide awake in bed for hours, it was torture. As for the rest of the day, aced it :)

I am beyond proud of myself for doing this cleanse and trust me when I say it, if I could do it, ANYONE could do it. Just make sure you have a goal that you can remind yourself of when you are craving food or feel like giving up. This is not a diet, it is not a weight loss plan, it is a cleanse- a detox for the body, mind and soul and I recommend it to anyone and everyone. It is recommended to do a juice cleanse a few times a year so this was just the beginning for me :)
For more information: RAW JUICE GURU


****NOTE**** It has been a month since my wedding. I did the juice cleanse for mental clarity before the wedding. I absolutely do not recommend anyone doing a juice cleanse. I do not believe it is healthy for various reasons. It is restricting calories and nutrients and I now see that it was actually very dangerous to do. It was an experience I do not regret, but I will not do it again. I urge you to do great research before embarking on any cleanses or diets, but I 100% believe that diets and cleanses are unnecessary and unhealthy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment