So recently we had to take one of our girls to get a good teeth cleaning and that certainly killed the wallet, but it was very necessary, close to the point of emergency. Terrible, I know. Our pets are our responsibility and it is important to take care of them in every way, including oral health. Just as in humans, oral health is so important for overall health and so teeth brushing is just as important in dogs.
After Clara got her teeth cleaned we got a sample of some dog toothpaste which both of our girls loved and that certainly made teeth brushing easy. I just ran out of the toothpaste and was about to go buy more when I thought of looking up a natural recipe online. I found one recipe and decided to make it vegan by removing one ingredient and viola, they loved it!
- 1/2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
1. Make sure coconut oil is solid at room temperature, if not put in fridge for 10 minutes.
2. Mix all ingredients and put in glass (not plastic) container to store.
* The toothpaste can be stored at room temperature for a few weeks.
* Only use a little toothpaste for each brushing and avoid letting your dog eat large amounts of the toothpaste.
* If you are worried about the ingredients and wonder how it will affect your dogs health then do some research before trying this recipe. I personally looked stuff up and found out that this recipe is safe and healthy for dogs in small doses. To be extra safe feel free to ask your vet before trying this recipe.